Utah Antlerless Permit Applications
Applications will be available by June 9 to hunt antlerless elk, deer, moose and doe pronghorn during Utah's 2000 antlerless big game seasons.

Those who applied in previous years should receive a preprinted 2000 application in the mail soon. Those who don't receive an application by June 9 may obtain one from hunting and fishing license agents statewide; Division of Wildlife Resources offices in Ogden, Salt Lake City, Springville, Vernal, Price and Cedar City; the Lee Kay Center for Hunter Education, 6000 W. 2100 S. in Salt Lake City; or the Cache Valley Hunter Education Center, 2851 W. 2000 N. in Logan.

Applications also will be available at the Division's Internet web site (www.nr.state.ut.us/dwr/dwr.htm).

To be entered in the draw for permits, applications must be received through the mail, or an overnight mail service, no later than 5 p.m., June 26. Applications may be mailed to either of the addresses listed on the application.

A total of 14,802 antlerless elk permits; 5,793 antlerless deer permits; 256 doe pronghorn permits; and 25 antlerless moose permits will be available through the public draw this year.

To assure their application is entered in the draw, Division of Wildlife Resources Wildlife Licensing Coordinator Judi Tutorow provides applicants with the following tips and reminders:

* Mail your application early. By doing so, you'll be giving your application plenty of time to be received by the 5 p.m., June 26 cut-off date. Also, mistakes on applications received no later than 5 p.m., June 19 may be corrected by the applicant.

* Include your Wildlife Habitat Authorization number, or the $6 fee to purchase one. Not doing so is the most common mistake made by applicants.

* Hunter education is required for anyone born after Dec. 31, 1965. Residents and nonresidents born after that date must list their hunter education course completion number of their application. Beginning May 1, nonresidents are no longer required to provide a photocopy of their hunter education course completion certificate.

* Double-check the hunt numbers you listed. Hunt numbers are highlighted in green in the Antlerless Addendum, which will be available by June 9. Many applicants end up with the wrong hunt, or no hunt, because they listed the wrong hunt number.

* Send the correct fees. Check your math. You may miss out on your hunt if you don't send enough money.

* Check your credit card number and expiration date. The card must be valid through September 2000 to issue a permit.

* Up to four people may apply together for deer, elk and pronghorn permits. Group applications are not accepted for moose permits.

* Sign your application.

* Before applying for a hunt that occurs on private property, make sure you'll be able to use the permit by obtaining written permission from the landowner to access the property. The Division does not guarantee access and does not have the names of landowners where hunts occur. Hunts that occur mostly on private land are indicated by an asterisk in the proclamation's hunt tables.

Draw results will be posted by Aug. 9 at the six Division offices, the two hunter education centers and the Division's Internet web site.

Successful applicants may be notified by mail before Aug. 9.

Those with questions may call their nearest Division office, or the Division's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.

| WH Home | Contact Western Hunter.com | WH Archive |

Copyright © 2000 J & D Outdoor Communications. All rights reserved.