Scouting Around
Idaho — Proposed Predator Management Policy

Idaho Fish and Game Commissioners will continue to take comment from the public on the proposed predator management policy when they meet in Stanley on July 13-14.

Predator policy has already been the subject of comments to commissioners in prior meetings. The policy is also posted on the department's internet web site under "What's New" at and is available in printed form at Fish and Game offices.

Those who wish to comment on the proposed policy may do so at open-house meetings in the seven regions. Regional open houses will be announced locally and will include taking comment on waterfowl seasons and the proposal to allow outfitted wild turkey hunting as well as the predator policy. Written comments may be made to Idaho Department of Fish and Game, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707, attention Dale Toweill. Comment is also taken by email.

A decision on the policy may come later this summer.

Dale Toweill, coordinator of the comment process for predator policy, said the policy is intended to "ensure that department actions are bounded by good science and good management."

Arizona — Transfer of Big Game Permits

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission has authorized an interim procedure for the transfer of an unused big game permit or tag from a parent or guardian to the parent's or guardian's minor children, while a formal Commission Rule is being developed.

The interim procedure is necessary to meet requirements of an amendment to A.R.S. § 17-322(D) that goes into effect July 18.

During the 2000 legislative session, A.R.S. § 17-3332 was amended through House Bill 2555, to allow a parent or legal guardian to transfer a big game permit or tag to the parent's or guardian's minor child.

The Commission approved interim procedure that follows:
A. A parent or guardian to whom a big game permit or tag was issued may transfer the unused permit or tag to the parent's or guardian's minor child, if:
1. The minor child is between the ages of 10 and 17 years on the date
of transfer,
2. The minor child has a valid Class F or G hunting license on the date of transfer, and
3. A minor child under the age of 14 years has satisfactorily completed a department-approved hunter education course on the date of transfer.
B. A parent or guardian may obtain a transfer, in person, at any Game
and Fish Department office. To obtain a transfer, a parent or guardian shall provide the following:
1. Proof of ownership of the big game permit or tag to be transferred,
2. The minor's class F or G hunting license, and if under the age of 14, proof of satisfactory completion of a department-approved hunter education course, and
3. The unused big game permit or tag.
C. The department shall issue a transfer permit or tag in the name of the minor child.

The Commission also approved a Notice of Docket Opening, to be filed with the Secretary of State, to begin the formal rulemaking process.

A schedule for oral proceedings will be announced at a later date.

The proposed rule will probably appear on the September commission agenda.

To comment or obtain further information, contact Mark Naugle, Rules and Risk Management Manager, Arizona Game and Fish Department, 2221 W. Greenway Road, Phoenix, AZ 85023 or phone (602) 789-3289 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Montana — Sportsmen Join Battle Againist Weeds

Invasive weeds are tightening their grip on millions of acres of land in Montana, including critical wildlife habitat, according to Adam Brooks, weed management coordinator for Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks.

"Any human activity from farming to road construction can contribute to the spread of noxious weeds," Brooks says. "Even hunting and fishing can provide a means for weed seeds to spread when sportsmen and women walk through weed patches, drive off-road vehicles, or bring horses in and out of weed infested areas." Part of Brooks' job is to point out these examples and others to hunters and recreationists and to encourage their participation in fighting weeds on both state and private lands.

"One of the best ways for hunters and fishermen to show their gratitude and support of these local landowners is to get involved in local "weed days" in the counties where they hunt or fish," Brooks points out. Through FWP's Block Management Program, many private landowners provide hunting access to thousands of acres across the state.

Here is a list of some upcoming weed-pulls across the state:

Mid-June-Upper Gallatin Weed Pull (Contact Gallatin County Weed District at 582-3265 to confirm.)

June 24-Ruby River Weed Day-Ruby Dam, Beaverhead County

June 24-Pine Creek Fishing Access Site, Park County, (Contact Matt Wilhelm at 222-9369 for details.)

July 8-Weed Whacker Rodeo, Base of Gibson Dam, Teton County

July 15-Beaverhead County Weed Day, Beaverhead County

July 22-Wise River Weed Day, Beaverhead County (For details contact Adam Brooks at 406-444-3032.)

Idaho — Resident Elk Tags

All resident deer and elk tags go on sale July 25, except elk tags in the Middle Fork, Selway and Lolo zones. They will be available August 1. Because there is a limited number of these elk tags, they will be sold on a first come-first served basis. They are expected to sell fast. To make it fair in both Idaho time zones, they will go on sale at 10 a.m. in the Mountain Time Zone and 9 a.m. in the Pacific Zone.

| WH Home | Contact Western | WH Archive |

Copyright © 2000 J & D Outdoor Communications. All rights reserved.