Scouting Around
Idaho — Licenses Go On Sale December 1st

Hunting and fishing licenses for the year 2001 go on sale December 1.

Licenses for a full year of fishing and hunting make a welcome gift, available from Fish and Game offices in the form of a gift certificate. The actual license can be purchased for minors. Hunters born January 1, 1975 or later must have completed hunter education and have a certification number before a hunting license will be issued.

Many Idahoans buy licenses for the coming year before January 1 in order to
avoid lines at Fish and Game offices or vendors.

Resident big game tags are not issued until August 1 but hunters can pay and be issued a receipt for a tag which they can redeem after that date.

Montana — Special Turkey Damage Hunt

The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission has approved a special turkey
game-damage hunt for southeastern Montana, FWP Region 7, through December 15. A larger than average turkey population is causing damage on area ranches.

The Commission said 150 game-damage Turkey Licenses will be available immediately from the FWP Miles City office at the current price for resident ($5) and nonresident ($13) hunters. The game-damage license will be valid only on ranches designated by FWP. Hunters may receive only one special game-damage Turkey License, and it may be in addition to a general fall Turkey License or a fall Turkey Special Permit. The Conservation License and an Upland Game Bird License are prerequisites to obtaining any Turkey License.

If turkey depredation increases, the FWP Region 7 office will make an additional 150 special game-damage Turkey Licenses available.

The special game-damage Turkey Licenses and information on the designated hunting areas must be obtained from the FWP Region 7 office, Industrial Site West, Miles City, MT; telephone (406) 232-0900.

Wyoming — Nonresident Big Game Application Booklets Available

In a way, the 2001 Wyoming big game season has kicked off.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department began mailing application booklets recently to the 105,000 nonresidents who applied for big game licenses the last two years and to other prospective hunters who have requested applications.

The major regulation changes facing nonresident applicants are reduced-price doe/fawn antelope and deer, and cow/calf elk licenses:
• The $10 application fee now applies to doe/fawn and reduced-price cow/calf elk applications.
• Applicants can now apply as a party for doe/fawn and reduced-price cow/calf elk licenses, and can apply for up to two doe/fawn licenses.
• Doe/fawn licenses have been reduced to $60 and $40 for youth; cow/calf elk $160 and $85 for youth.

Prices include application fee. The nonresident application period is January 1- 31 for elk; January 1 to March 15 deer and antelope.

Nonresident hunters can get a booklet by contacting: Wyoming Game and Fish Department, 5400 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82006; telephone (307) 777-4600. Outfitters can purchase booklets by the case at the same address.

Arizona — Multiple Small Game Seasons Now Open

Waterfowl, dove and quail seasons are all open now, making this the time of year when many hunters head out for small game hunts for multiple species.

Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists said that water tanks are good places to try for multiple species. Ducks often visit such water sources. Quail and dove often water at those same tanks. Rabbits are usually more abundant around tanks.

"With the chamber-of-commerce weather we've been having lately, this is a perfect time to get afield. Besides being a lot of fun for adults, winter small game hunting is a perfect opportunity to teach youngsters basic hunting skills while also giving them lots of opportunities to harvest some natural bounty for the table," said Information Branch Chief Joe Janisch.

Janisch added that for dove hunting, dairies sometimes provide quality opportunities, adding that some dairies are drawing lots of doves, while others are not. Always check with the dairy operator to get permission before hunting.

Arizona — Javelina Permits Available

There are 3,853 javelina hunt permit tags available for first-come, first-served by mail, advised Arizona Game and Fish Department officials.

To find out what hunt-permits remain, try the Game and Fish Department's Internet Home Page at under "What's New" or the Hunt Information Line at (602) 789-3702. You can also call the Department's Fax-On-Request line at (602) 530-2210, and follow the prompts for a hard copy of the remaining permits.

Utah — Wild Turkey Applications

Applications to participate in Utah's 2001 wild turkey hunts will be available by December 1.

Applications may be obtained from hunting license agents statewide; at Division of Wildlife Resources offices in Ogden, Salt Lake City, Springville, Vernal, Price and Cedar City; at the Lee Kay Center for Hunter Education in Salt Lake City and at the Cache Valley Hunter Education Center in Logan.

Applications also will be available at the Division of Wildlife Resources' Internet web site ( For the first time, hunters have the option of applying for a wild turkey permit over the Internet this year.

To be entered in the draw for permits, applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on December 29.

A total of 654 Rio Grande turkey permits and 460 Merriam's turkey permits will be available. The number of permits available for each of Utah's wild turkey management units may be found in the 2001 Utah Wild Turkey Addendum, which will be available by late November.

Utah's early-season wild turkey hunts begin in April, while late-season hunts begin in late April or early May. Some units feature early, mid and late seasons during the two months.

| WH Home | Contact Western | WH Archive |

Copyright © 2000 J & D Outdoor Communications. All rights reserved.