Utah Buck Permits Remain
Utah's 2001 Big Game Draw is over and general statewide archery buck deer and Northern, Central and Northeastern region general buck deer permits are still available. A second draw for these permits will be held. Applications for the draw will be accepted until 5 p.m., May 21.

Utah residents who want a Central or Northeastern region permit are strongly encouraged to apply. "There's only 119 Central Region resident permits left and they will definitely go in the draw," said Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "I also have a feeling that the 5,288 resident Northeastern Region permits that are leftover will go in the draw, too."

Nonresidents are also strongly encouraged to apply. Beginning July 26, all nonresident permits not taken in the draw will be available, on a first-come, first-served basis, to Utah residents and nonresidents who haven't already obtained a permit.

This is the first time Utah residents have been allowed to purchase permits not taken by nonresidents and they'll probably buy most of them. "If nonresidents want a Utah buck deer hunting permit for this fall, it's crucial that they get their application in by 5 p.m., May 21," Tutorow said.

The following general buck deer permits remain available:

Statewide Archery Resident: 5,770; Nonresident: 868

Northern Rifle or Muzzleloader Resident: 13,856; Nonresident: 1,997

Central Rifle or Muzzleloader Resident: 119; Nonresident: 579

Northeastern Rifle or Muzzleloader Resident: 5,288; Nonresident: 1,205

Southeastern Rifle or Muzzleloader Resident: Sold Out; Nonresident: Sold Out

Southern Rifle or Muzzleloader Resident: Sold Out; Nonresident: Sold Out

While Tutorow doesn't think all of the Northern Region and statewide archery permits will be taken in the draw, she still encourages hunters to apply for one now. "If you obtain one now you'll assure yourself of getting a permit and you'll save yourself the hassle of having to obtain one later," she said. "This is especially important for hunters who don't have easy access to the Internet. If they don't obtain a permit in the draw they'll have to drive to a Division office, and stand in line to get a permit later."

Hunters who have an American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card can apply for one of the remaining permits online at the Division of Wildlife Resources' Internet web site (www.nr.state.ut.us/dwr/dwr.htm).

Hunters who don't have a credit card can apply by mailing an application and their fees. The same application form used in the initial Big Game Draw will be used to apply in the draw for remaining permits. Applications are available on the Division's web site and from hunting and fishing license agents and Division of Wildlife Resources offices and hunter education centers.

In addition to the remaining general buck deer permits, the following resident spike bull elk Cooperative Wildlife Management Unit (CWMU) permits also are available:

CWMU Resident
Old Woman Plateau 3
Boobe Hole 4
Grazing Pasture 1
Johnson Mountain Ranch 3

The hunt numbers for these hunts are as follows: 400 (Old Woman Plateau); 401 (Boobe Hole); 402 (Grazing Pasture); and 403 (Johnson Mountain Ranch).

For more information call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office, or the Division's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.

| WH Home | Contact Western Hunter.com | WH Archive |

Copyright © 2000 J & D Outdoor Communications. All rights reserved.