Utah Buck Permits Still Available
Utah's 2002 Big Game Draw is over and general statewide archery buck deer and Northern and Northeastern region general buck deer permits for residents and nonresidents are still available. More than 400 Central Region nonresident permits are also available to nonresidents.

A second draw for all of these permits will be held. Applications for the draw will be accepted until 5 p.m. on May 20.

Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, strongly encourages nonresidents to apply. "Beginning July 18, all nonresident permits not taken in the draw will be available, on a first-come, first-served basis, to Utah residents and nonresidents who haven't already obtained a permit," she says. "All of the Central Region resident permits went in the first draw and residents who didn't obtain one will be very interested in obtaining any nonresident Central Region permits that nonresidents don't take in the second draw.

"If nonresidents want a Utah buck deer hunting permit for this fall, it's crucial that they get their application in by 5 p.m. on May 20," Tutorow said.

The following general buck deer permits remain available:

Resident Nonresident
Statewide Archery
Northern Rifle or Muzzleloader
Central Rifle or Muzzleloader
Sold Out
Northeastern rifle or Muzzleloader
Southeastern Rifle or Muzzleloader
Sold Out
Sold Out
Southern Rifle or Muzzleloader
Sold Out
Sold Out

While Tutorow doesn't think all of the remaining permits will be taken in the draw, she still encourages hunters to apply for one now. "If you obtain one now, you'll assure yourself of getting a permit and you'll save yourself the hassle of having to obtain one later," she said. "This is especially important for hunters who don't have easy access to the Internet. If they don't obtain a permit in the draw, they'll have to drive to a Division office, and stand in line, to try and get a permit later."

Hunters who have an American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card can apply for one of the remaining permits online at the Division of Wildlife Resources' Internet Web site (www.wildlife.utah.gov).

Hunters who don't have a credit card can apply by mailing an application and their fees. The same application form used in the initial Big Game Draw will be used to apply in the draw for remaining permits. Applications are available on the Division's Web site and from hunting and fishing license agents and Division of Wildlife Resources offices and hunter education centers.

Hunters are encouraged to complete their application correctly. "This application period is very short and there isn't time to allow hunters to correct mistakes they might make," Tutorow said, "so we're encouraging them to take their time and make sure their application is completed correctly before mailing it in."

For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office, or the Division's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.

| WH Home | Contact Western Hunter.com | WH Archive |

Copyright © 2002 J & D Outdoor Communications. All rights reserved.